Director Technical Services
Mr. Liaquat Mahmud
- General Manager, Fabcon Design and Engineering (pvt) Ltd. Sept 2012 to March 2013
- Director Technical Services, AB Winston Engineering: May 2012 to Sept 2012
- Deputy General Manager, Presson Descon (Inter) Limited: Dec 2008 to May 2012
- Senior Manager Engineering, Presson Descon International Limited: 2003 to 2008
- Senior Manager, Descon Engineering Lahore: 2000 to 2003
- Assistant Professor, Institute of Chemical Engineering and Technology, University of the Punjab, Lahore: 1969 to 2000.
- Associate Consultant, Hagler Bailly Pakistan: 1998 to 2000.
- Consultant to Hattar Chemicals (Pvt.) Ltd., Hattar Haripur: 1994-1996
- Consultant to Uswat Chemical (Pvt.) Ltd., Lahore: 1992-1994
- Consultant to Fico Chemical (Pvt.) Ltd., Lahore: 1989-1992
- Manager (Quality Control), Rupali Polyester Limited, Lahore: 1984
- Manager (Technical), Nasir Siddique Corporation Limited, Lahore: 1982-1984
|Birmingham University, Birmingham||1973||Chemical||MSc|
|Institute of Chemical Engineering and Technology, University of the Punjab, Lahore||1968||Chemical
|Institute of Chemical Engineering and Technology, University of the Punjab, Lahore||1967||Chemical
Honors and Professional Affiliations
- Member, Pakistan Engineering Council
- Member, Pakistan Institute of Chemical Engineers
Mr. Mahmud is working as Director Technical Services recently and is developing the company business in the field of Engineering and Project Planning. He is taking the company in the direction of Basic and Detailed Engineering for industrial projects, organizational re-engineering, project planning and scheduling, field surveys and data collection correlation and analysis.
Mr. Mahmud has joined Team Engineers recently and is developing the company business in the field of engineering consultancy. Using his varied experience in the industry and academics including research and development he is taking the company in the direction of consultancy in the field of environmental engineering, basic and detailed engineering for industrial projects, organizational re-engineering, project planning and scheduling, field surveys and data collection correlation and analysis.
Mr. Mahmud Worked as Deputy General Manager, with Presson Descon International Pvt. Limited from 2008 to 2012. During this time his responsibilities included looking after the IT department, engineering department, Health Safety and Environment, Quality control and Business Management Systems. He led the PDIL effort for the implementation of SAP ERP in the entire DESCON group. Along with it was also head of the Internal Audit Committee and Chairman of the Employees Provident Fund Trust. During this period company undertook the EPCC project worth 130 million US dollars, for the development of Manzalai Gas Field in KPK, Pakistan. As head of the technical services he was responsible for the engineering of the project along with the HSE and QA at the project site.
Worked as Senior Manager Engineering, with Presson Descon International Pvt. Limited, from 2003 to 2008, heading their engineering department. The responsibilities included coordination of basic and detailed engineering activities for the projects and providing engineering support to the proposal and business development departments. The company was handling EPCC projects for the provision of gas processing facilities at a collective value of around 150 million US dollars at Rehmat in Sindh and Gurguri in KPK and Al Wastani in Egypt.
Apart from handling the engineering activities of the company other responsibilities included implementation of procurement control and financial control soft wares.
Mr. Mahmud Worked as Senior Manager with DESCON Engineering Limited at Product Engineering Department.
Working as process lead, engineering manager for various projects and developing new products. Included in the responsibilities were Designing of Water and Waste Water Treatment Plants, Caustic Recovery Plants, Emission control systems, Boilers, Burner Management Systems etc. Supporting marketing department in technical bid preparation.
Mr. Mahmud possesses Forty-Four years’ academic and industrial experience in chemical engineering process and plant design. He has been teaching Chemical Engineering Design at the Punjab University since 1969. While teaching, he has also undertaken numerous engineering and management assignments as a consultant. He has worked in the process industry in charge of the technical and quality control departments and has supervised the design, fabrication, installation and commissioning of chemical plants for sulfuric acid, zinc sulfate and sodium dichromate production.
At Hagler Bailly, Mr. Mahmud was engaged in the development of training materials for self-monitoring of environmental impacts by industry and in-plant and end-of-pipe measures for pollution abatement. He was also engaged in ambient air monitoring and air dispersion modeling using ISC 3, Screen 3 and other models. He was also training industrial operators in pollution control through workshops.
Experience as a Consultant
- Consultant, Hagler Bailly Pakistan (Pvt.) Ltd., 1998 to 2000
- sign, production planning and monitoring, cost estimation, product quality monitoring, systems development and review of plant operating parameters by laboratory test and analysis methods.
- During his tenure as associate consultant with Hagler Bailly, Mr. Mahmud worked on a project for the transfer of technology for sustainable industrial development (TTSID) project, sponsored by the Swiss Office for Foreign and Economic Affairs. In the course of this project, Mr. Mahmud has conducted and supervised numerous audits of various types of industrial units, particularly Pulp and Paper, Food and Beverage, Chlor-Alkali and Polyester. During the audits, he evaluated current pollutant impacts, identified environmental concerns, assessed the control measures and technologies in place, and recommended appropriate measures and technology options for effluent mitigation. Based on the audits, he prepared several research reports that proved very useful in developing an action plan for implementing recommended environmental control measures.
- For the TTSID project, Mr. Mahmud also designed and prepared training manuals, and conducted several workshops for subsequent training of technical staff in the Pulp and Paper, Food and Beverage, Chlor-Alkali and Polyester sectors. The manuals covered topics such as in-plant control measures, end-of-pipe treatment, and environmental monitoring. The workshops imparted hands-on experience to technical staff in determining the status quo of their mill and identifying in-plant control measures to reduce environmental impacts.
- During the course of the above project ambient air quality of the Islamabad Industrial Estate was monitored. The particulate emission from the steel melting furnaces in the estate was studied and an air dispersion model was developed to assess the overall impact on the residential areas around the Industrial Estate in Islamabad.
- One of the areas of the above project was policy advice to the government. Mr. Mahmud was involved in an analysis of the shortcomings of the existing national environmental quality standards (NEQS) and studying the possibilities of modifying them to industry- and production-based standards.
- Consultant, Hattar Chemicals (Pvt.) Ltd., Hattar Haripur 1994-1996
Mr. Mahmud supervised the execution of a plant producing 10 tons per day (TPD) of basic chromium sulfate at Hattar. The current directors acquired the Rs. 40-million project in a ‘dead’ state in 1974. Mr. Mahmud undertook its redesign, carried out process improvement, and prepared fresh material and energy balances. On the basis of his redesign, he supervised the plant’s fabrication, installation, erection and commissioning using local materials only.
- Consultant, Uswat Chemical (Pvt.) Ltd. Lahore, 1992-1994
Mr. Mahmud developed the process and design of a plant producing sodium dichromate and basic chromium sulfate. The Central Institute of Iron Research of the Ministry of Metallurgy, Beijing, China, vetted the design. On its basis, converting an aluminum sulfate plant a pilot plant scale installation was set up for M/s Uswat Chemical (Pvt.) Ltd. Lahore.
- Consultant, Fico Chemicals (Pvt.) Ltd. Lahore, 1989-1992
Mr. Mahmud designed, fabricated, installed and commissioned a 10-TPD sulfuric acid plant, a 10-TPD zinc sulfate plant, a 5-TPD ferrous sulfate plant and a 2-TPD magnesium sulfate plant for M/s Fico Chemicals (Pvt.) Ltd. Lahore.
- Rupali Polyester Limited, Lahore, 1984
As the Quality Control Manager, Mr. Mahmud was responsible for routine analysis of raw materials and materials in process and developing internal product quality consistency. In the course of this work, he attended a training program at Toray Engineering, Japan, during which he visited Toray Engineering installations at Machima and Osaka to study the quality control systems, particularly the systems for tracing customer complaints to machine/operation faults.
- Nasir Siddique Corporation Limited, Lahore, 1982-1984
Mr. Mahmud headed the firm’s technical department, which analyzed incoming raw materials and in-process materials for product quality monitoring and control. The department was also responsible for reclamation of product damaged during storage; a task that involved the supervision of up to 200 daily wage laborers every day. Mr. Mahmud also oversaw production in the absence of the production manager. He designed and installed a glass-melting furnace for hand working to introduce the development of hand-molded products, such as flower vases. Mr. Mahmud also contributed in product development and process improvement through studies exploring article weight reduction measures and optimization of annealing conditions. In addition, he designed a warehouse system for easy stock verification and retrieval.
- Institute of Chemical Engineering and Technology, University of the Punjab, Lahore, 1969 to 2000.
Mr. Mahmud began his career as a lecturer for chemical engineering in 1969. He became an Assistant Professor in 1977. From 1970 to 1973, Mr. Mahmud was on leave from the University to study towards an MSc in Chemical Engineering at the Birmingham University. After obtaining his MSc in 1973, Mr. Mahmud returned to the Punjab University to teach chemical engineering principles and chemical engineering process and equipment design at the Institute of Chemical Engineering and Technology.
He has guided numerous final professional students in their design project assignments. Every year, the final year students are assigned projects that involve process and equipment design and preliminary economic evaluation. Mr. Mahmud planned the projects and guided the students in their projects and was responsible for their final evaluation.
While pursuing postgraduate studies at the Birmingham University, Mr. Mahmud conducted research on the extraction of Styrene from Ethyl Benzene by Diethylene Glycol, in the course of which he designed and installed a liquid-liquid extraction pilot plant.
In addition, Mr. Mahmud conducted the following studies at the Punjab University:
- Sulphur dioxide absorption in dichromate
- Granulation of phosphate fertilizer
- Pulping of straw with ammonia
- Pretreatment of pulp before bleaching for improvement of physical properties of paper
- Production of precipitated calcium carbonate formed as a by-product of ammonium sulfate production at Pak-American Fertilizers, Daudkhel.
- Received four weeks’ training in instrumentation and process control at Ravi Rayon, Kala Shah Kaku, Lahore in 1970
- Interned for six weeks at Pak American Fertilizer, Daudkhel.
- Studied the quality control system of Toray Engineering, Osaka, Japan in an eighteen-day training program.
Mr. Mahmud is experienced in the use of packages such as Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Power Point, Auto Cad and Corel Draw.
- A H Dilawari, L Mahmud and I Rasul. “Chemical Enrichment of Lagarban South Phosphate Rock” Journal of the Institute of Chemical Engineers. Vol. 10. 1982.
- A H Dilawari, L Mahmud and I Rasul. “Removal of Calcium Nitrate to improve P2O5 Water Solubility of NP Fertilizer” Journal of the Pakistan Institute of Chemical Engineers. Vol. IX. 1981.
- A H Dilawari, L Mahmud and A Hamid. “Effects of Pre-treatment of Wheat Straw Pulp on Its Bleachability and Strength Properties” Journal of Pakistan Institute of Chemical Engineers. Vol. VIII. 1980.
- A H Dilawari, L Mahmud and T Ahmed. “Catalytic Effect of Anthraquinone on Sulphite Pulping of Wheat Straw” Journal of the Pakistan Institute of Chemical Engineers. Vol. VIII. 1981.
- A H Dilawari, L Mahmud and K Mahmood. “Utilization of By-product Calcium Carbonate” The Pakistan Metallurgist. Vol. 3, Nos. 1-2, 1981.
- A H Dilawari, L Mahmud. “Modeling of Collection Efficiency of Electrostatic Precipitators” Journal of the Pakistan Institute of Chemical Engineers. Vol. VI. No. 3 & 4, 1978.
- L Mahmud. “Liquid Phase Equilibrium Data for the System Ethylbenzene-Diethylene Glycol-Styrene” Journal of the Pakistan Institute of Chemical Engineers. Vol. VI, No. 3, 1978.